Friday, September 11, 2009

Where natural beauty abounds

Given that I now live in one of the largest, most exciting cities in the world, I'm glad I stopped in Iceland, where its charms are just the opposite. Most of what I have to say about that can best be said in pictures.





I didn't really feel like I'd experienced Iceland, though, until the end of my trip. Reykjavik's a cute little city, but Iceland is really all about its wilderness. On my last evening there, some dancers took me out to a cave. I had to walk about a mile over volcanic rock and thick moss, through blueberry patches and past random pinecones (notable for the complete lack of nearby trees), trusting three strangers and a GPS to guide me there and back safely. There were moments when I wondered if I was losing my mind. But then I gazed around at the magestic beauty and noted the wild grin on my face and realized it didn't matter.





After all that, though, I was so hungry that the traditional Icelandic hot dog became the most beautiful thing I'd seen all day.


Ahhh, the perfect end to the perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment