Sunday, September 27, 2009

Beautiful days

The weather here in London has been absolutely glorious the past few days. I hope I don't jinx it by writing that, but so far the daily forecast has been holding steady at 20ish degrees and sunny.

So what does one do on beautiful, sunny weekend days in London? Walk, of course! I've done so much walking since I got here, I think my legs are preparing to fall off.

Yesterday, I wandered over to Holborn to meet up with my friend Christine. We walked down to the Thames, across to the Big Ben, up through Trafalgar Square to Covent Garden, and back again. An EiD festival was happening in Trafalgar Square, and this random Dame Edna lookalike was there juggling.


Later on in the evening, we got together again for a light dinner and off we went to Down Home Blues, followed by an after party at Charlotte Street Blues. Great night.

Today, we headed over to the Regent Street Festival, which wasn't nearly as big or exciting as the Thames Festival, but still a nice way to kill a bit of time on a Sunday afternoon. They had a carousel and a ferris wheel that went at least 50% faster than the ones at Carnivale (which were already the fastest I'd ever seen, by far).


After spending a good deal of time in the National Geographic store and being joined by Kirbie, we decided to wander over to Speakers Corner in Hyde Park, where Jodi and Tyson were hanging out. We got a little distracted on the way by this awesome street art. Shiny!



At Speakers Corner, this crazy lady was rambling on and on about how all non-English people should go back to their home countries. I offered a rough translation to a couple of French tourists standing behind me, and also chatted up this Free Hugs guy...


I guessed correctly that he was from Scotland. My ear for accents is improving! Meanwhile, I'm still amazed by how many people think I'm Australian.

Ahhh, London. Never a dull moment.

PS - As though that weren't already enough excitement for the day, when I got home, I finally found the legendary Benito's Hat burrito place. Mexican food has never tasted this good.

3 comments:

  1. I'm commenting here so that Bryn feels good about herself. Also, because I really do read all of these posts, I swear :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, you'll have to take us to Benito's Hat? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bryn!
    I follow your blog with much pleasure but also, I must admit, much jealousy... ;)
    I am glad to see that you seem to be having a wonderfull time and that your experience is everything you wanted it to be.
    I have been to London myself 2 summers ago, so your posts bring back some memories. Although the weather was quite crappy when I went there, mostly rainy and cold... but it did not prevent me from walking as much as possible, which I quite enjoyed in the end.
    I am also happy to see that you are still dancing, especially blues. I am all about blues lately I must say, so I am very enthusiast about any sort of event that is happening.
    Take care! :)

    ReplyDelete