Friday, September 11, 2009

My first few days in paradise


It has to be said: I love London. The rhythm, the energy, the overwhelming opportunity and diversity... it suits me. Still, I'm glad to have been able to take most of today to slow down, relax, and catch up.

I arrived here on Tuesday, and so far I've been on the go pretty much nonstop. A quick recap:

Tuesday - Fly to London. Feel all posh due to having my own private driver. Check into my accommodations (which are lovely, and the people are so nice!). Marks & Spencer for cheap linens. Supper with Mackenzie (a fellow Classroom Canada teacher I'd met in Ottawa). Drinks at our local pub with Mackenzie and Shannon (another Classroom Canada teacher I'd met in Ottawa). Meet up with Damon (a friend from the States who's here teaching blues dancing) and company for West Coast Swing, which turned out not to be happening. Blues bar where there are random dancers. Hot chocolate. Very long walking tour of my neighbourhood, trying to remember where I live.

Wednesday - Meeting with Classroom (which was great, and I'm totally excited for what I'll be doing... more on that later). Lunch and shopping in Notting Hill (where I ate pizza with dough that's so far only been paralleled by one bistro in Brooklyn, as well as some very good gelato) with Damon and my new friends Kavita and Emily. Home. Try to go out again for a solo blues class, but realize I don't know where I'm going and don't have much time to get there. Opt for watching football at our pub with a whole big pile of Classroom Canada teachers. Feel increasingly British.

Thursday - Camden Market with Mackenzie and Shannon. Pass through the very lovely Regent's Park on the way. Buy a delicious raw chocolate raspberry smoothie, three elegent posters of London, and a gorgeous red cashmere coat. Obtain hangers from a dry cleaner and FINALLY put my clothes away. Feel incredible sense of relief. Supper at a super cool Japanese restaurant with my friend Jamie Cameron. Dancing at a quiet venue in Hammersmith. Dance lots and lots with Jamie Cameron. Surprise myself by not really getting lost on the way home.

Today - Groceries from Sainsbury's. Bed. Blogging. Supposed to go out tonight with some people from my building. I've yet to decide if I have the energy. Bed.

6 comments:

  1. sounds like a fun time .. i miss that side of the pond at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bryn, I really enjoy reading your blog. Keep safe and enjoy this part of your life. You have so many great gifts to offer others and I'm sure you will be rewarded with memories from them. You can do anything you want to as you are full of youth, health and courage. Good luck in all your endeavours.

    Donna White (Dee)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Donna! That is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED London the one time I visited. As you said, it's a dynamic city with an incredible energy -- I'm not surprised you're fitting right in. Keep blogging so I can continue to experience some vicarious adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Bryn! I can understand the exhaustion you feel with your new, very busy, and exciting life in London. I can't wait to see you dancing in person, and love your enthusiasm, positive energy and all 'round awesome-Bryn'ness.

    BTW, for fashion, check out Brick Lane for some very cool designers hidden along the side streets. For shoes, find Neil Street. You'll never leave...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Victoria, you HAD to tell me that...

    ReplyDelete