Tuesday, September 29, 2009

So this is what they were talking about

Yesterday, I had my first experience in a mainstream school. I was working in the Speech & Language department, which is still special needs (learning support), but the kids seemed pretty normal to me. I guess everything is relative. After working with kids who can barely communicate, feed themselves, or go to the toilet on their own, kids who just have a bit of a harder time retaining information seem like downright geniuses to me.

The culture shock didn't end there, though. This school was enormous! Nearly 1500 students vs. maybe 50-100 at the others. It was completely chaotic.

First period, I helped out in a history lesson for students who had been pulled out of regular classes. They were talking about the slave trade, which was actually really interesting. I kept flashing back to The Book of Negroes (one of the best books ever - if you haven't read it, you should) while we went through the lesson, as pretty much everything we were talking about was chronicled in the book.

Second period, I was told I was supposed to be working with a couple of the boys from my first class, but they weren't in the room I was told they'd be in. They were, in fact, in French class. But they weren't supposed to be in French class, and when we finally found them, they came in with another teacher from Classroom who said he was meant to be working with them. So instead, I tutored two other boys... one of whom spent most of the time trying to set me up with his dad: "Miss, you are so beautiful. Have you got a boyfriend? Would you like me to find you one? My dad hasn't got a girlfriend. He was in a rock band. I'm going to tell my dad I found him a beautiful Canadian girl." Hilarious but a bit awkward.

Third (and last) period, I was in a regular Year 8 maths class as one on one support for one of the boys. I'm still not sure why I was there, since he didn't seem to need or want my help. I did my best to keep him on task and let him know I was there for him, but wound up spending most of my time helping out another boy who did genuinely want to learn. It was a bit of a challenge at first, since I barely remember how to do any math, but once the teacher explained it, I understood immediately. Which makes me wonder if maybe I should pick up some math workbooks and retrain myself. I may actually be decently good at it this time around.

Anyway, being in that class was certainly an enlightening experience. I've heard all this talk about how unruly classrooms in Britain are, but I hadn't experienced it yet for myself. I couldn't believe my eyes as I watched the class spent the entire period calling out, throwing paper balls, breaking and throwing pencil crayons, chatting, and fighting each other. The teacher had no control. I don't think he handled the situation very well, but then I imagine it must be really difficult to deal with that every day. How do you handle that? Not just in practical terms, but I mean, how do you handle the stress? How do you not let it wear you down, and have it turn you into a lesser teacher? I noticed that the teachers at my last school had become quite jaded, as well. How do you guard against that?

And how can I, as a temporary TA, help? I'm still learning how everything works over here, and of course it doesn't help that every school and every teacher has different rules and methods. I continually find myself in the awkward situation of trying to manage all the behavioural issues without actually knowing how they want them handled or what my boundaries and responsibilities are. I've kicked my observational skills into high gear and I'm learning a lot as I go along, but I long for a long-term placement where I can start to feel more in control.

2 comments:

  1. these are the million dollar questions...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you're in the UK and not the US, but Bill Gates gave a lecture and in it's last part raved about schools called "Kipp". Kipp is a college prep school so it may doubly not apply to your work, but the high teacher energy and student participation may offer a partial solution to the million dollars questions.

    ReplyDelete