Wednesday, October 21, 2009

People, events, and ideas

They say that small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas. I like to think of myself as having a great mind (or at least an above average mind), and yet lately I've been trapped in writing about events. I have ideas brewing, but I can't get them out. Why is that, I wonder?

As an update to yesterday's post, I decided to leave the work thing up to fate. If I had gotten a call this morning, I would have gone in. But since I didn't, I kept right on sleeping (rather than option B, which would have been for me to call them at 7 am and thus raise my chances of getting work). The ColdFX and various medications I'm taking seem to be doing their job, though. As a rule, I never take medication -- it says a lot about my desire to be working that I rushed out to get some last night. Anyway, I'm feeling a lot better and should be totally fine by tomorrow. Which is great, 'cause I'm slated to go back to the psychiatric hospital school.

2 comments:

  1. Where did you hear that about small minds vs. great minds? I've read that women tend to want to discuss people and events, whereas men tend to discuss things and ideas. I think it's false to assume that talking about ideas is innately inferior to discussing people.

    As for small-minds... maybe that's the key. Small-mindedness. Seinfeld was a funny show in large part because it was about people who discuss very petty ideas. It was funny because of how small-minded it was. Not all ideas are on the level of astrophysics or metaphysics.

    Conversely generals, presidents and CEO's often need to think a lot about people--the people they lead, and the people on the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe Eleanor Roosevelt is the one who said it. You have good points as always, Byron. I think perhaps the key may lie in how one discusses people and events. Is it merely a play-by-play (my standard format as of late), or are there ideas about those people and events being brought to the surface? I know I have ideas -- patterns I'm noticing through my experiences here -- but I can't seem to write about them. Every time I try, I come up with nothing.

    ReplyDelete