Saturday, October 3, 2009

Homesick? Nope

Many of the expatriates around me feel homesick. So far, I am immune. There are a few people I miss, and wish it were easier to keep in touch with them... but I actually feel quite at home in London. There are likely a few reasons for this:

1. I am a nomad at heart
Every few years, I get the itch to pick up and move somewhere. It's actually more difficult for me to stay than it is to go. Must be my viking blood.

2. I am lucky enough to have a far-reaching social network
I have connections with many different types of people in London. The two most important groups for me so far have been folks connected to the dance scene and other people from my agency. I have a good mix of locals, Canadians in the same boat as me, and people from elsewhere who are here for their own reasons. It makes a really big difference.

3. I haven't just left my family
My family is spread far and wide, and both my parents were already living thousands of kilometers away from me (in different directions). I'm used to being on my own, and I'm probably going to see them just as often now as I did before. In fact, my dad will be here next week (and I can't wait!).

4. Ottawa really isn't all that different from London
There are some obvious differences: size, population, accents, fashion sense... but ultimately, the two cities are as similar as cities across the ocean from each other can get.


English-speaking (with some French... Parisians are everywhere here), multicultural, Gothic style capital cities with plenty of festivals, changing of the guard ceremonies, green space, mixed architecture, and a long brown river/canal running through their core. London is really just Ottawa on speed.

5. I've been waiting for this most of my life
I've always wanted to live and travel in Europe; most especially these past few years. I'm also a big city girl at heart. I love the crowds, the fast pace, the diversity, the anonymity, and the bottomless well of possibilities. Besides, there are so many big, beautiful parks here, it's easy to step into one and completely forget you're in the middle of a bustling city.

I do miss coaching my dance team, having a car when I need it (though not driving it or the hassle that goes with owning one), and coffee/adventures with my Ottawa friends. I miss Quebecois French and Montreal bagels and poutine and proper sized fridges and Jane's Meal Maker chicken. But this is my home now, and I embrace its inexpensive yet tasty cheeses, snowless winters, funny police hats, winding streets, and hot-as-sin metro system.

I like London. And so far, London seems to like me.

8 comments:

  1. aww, i love this post!! i feel the same way, totally content with london. but i find that i'm a super adaptive person and i love whichever city i'm in. i will be VERY homesick when it's winter and there's no snow though!! i LIVE for the first snow fall of the year!!

    (ps. this is amie on morgan's account!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lack of snow is one of the things I'm most looking forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bryn can I call you mini-me? ;-)

    Just kidding! I love this post, and couldn't agree more. I was in a very similar place to you when I first arrived in London. I still love that city. And London lurves me.

    I moved to Victoria without knowing anyone either, except my sister - it's also a new city for her. Nomadic life is awesome!

    Hmmm...wonder where you will end up next? How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, can I be the minority opinion? (just try and stop me, heh heh)

    You are a very recent transplant, and as someone who really loves England (one of the factors why I moved to Canada instead of the US of A was my first trip to London and Glasgow in 1995--the UK is still the only EU country I would ever think of moving to, closely followed by Italy where I've never been but could at least fake the language a bit ;)) I think it is too early for you to feel any pangs of homesickness. I do like Canada myself, it was a concious and informed decision on my part to move here, and I feel very comfortable here--more comfortable, in fact, than the country I was brought up in. The homesickness is a weird thing--you miss some people, and some food items when you are away from where you were born; for me it was a few close friends and my family, but I know people who couldn't stand North America (even though they were more successful and happy here than they would ever be back in the Old Country) and had to move back. Give it some time. You WILL experience homesickness for SOME things--probably not enough to return but enough to, y'know, think about it and try to indulge as much as you can when you visit. Otherwise, I am sure you are going to have a blast in London, for which I am happy for you! I hope I can visit you in situ in London when I pass thru there again in a few years!!! And don't worry, people ARE reading your blog, we just don't always comment ;) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I agree it's still early, but I do know people who've been here the same amount of time and are already homesick. And I think you made an important point... of course I'll feel some homesickness at some point, but it's not likely to be the kind that makes me want to move back. Most other people move here with the intention of going home at some point (mainly because they're here on visas). I moved here with the ability and motivation to potentially stay forever. Maybe that makes a difference too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that's a very good point - how long your visa allows you to be there makes a big difference in how you feel about the experience. I was there initially on a 2 year visa, but always knew that I could change it to a 5 year UK ancestry visa, which I eventually changed over to. I really felt like I lived in London, not like a visitor, although I always felt like a Canadian-Londoner if that makes any sense. I also didn't feel like "home" was an option, so homesickness didn't take over like it does for others. Sure, I missed parts of home, and still do (I'm from Ottawa, but now live in Victoria BC), and you're right - it's the people more than anything else.

    My friend Zoe from Ottawa was at the LSE when I was in London and she said that the things she missed in Ottawa were the things she hated in London, and the things she missed about London were the things she hated about Ottawa. So, in Ottawa, you walk down the street and run into all your friends. That never happens in London. But in London, you have so many more things to do, places to be, things to learn (hip hop belly dance anyone?). And Ottawa just doesn't have all that much. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, Amie and I bumped into each other at the London Bridge rail station a couple weeks ago. What are the odds, right? But it does happen!

    ReplyDelete