Saturday, October 24, 2009

I've finally done it!

It took a little longer than I expected, but I finally have a full-time, long-term job! I'll be working in a lovely little mainstream school with a girl in Year 2 who has Global Delay (she was born very prematurely and it messed up her development, so she learns very slowly). I haven't had a chance to meet her yet, but I hear she's a little spitfire! :)

I don't know yet exactly when it'll start. It depends on when the other TA decides to leave. Her notice runs until the 13th but she may well want to leave earlier... and there'll be a hand over period where I get to go in and shadow her. I must say, one of the really nice things about this job is I'm actually going to have some real resources! In addition to shadowing, I'm going to be meeting with the special needs coordinator, the speech language pathologist, etc. That's going to be a big change from not being given any preparation and just figuring things out on the fly.

The only sad part is not being able to go back to the psychiatric hospital school. I love that place so much. I'm crossing my fingers I get to go back at least one last time before I start my new placement.

Now, that's enough thinking about work. It's half-term break time! As Jodi said, it feels weird to be on vacation already when I've barely even begun working, but it's going to be so nice to have a break from wondering if I'm going to be working each day.

1 comment: