Monday, September 27, 2010

Same difference

The neat thing about supply teaching is that every school is different. I've learned so much just from observing the ways things are done from one place to the next. So far this year, I've had two placements which have had the following things in common:

- They're both in nursery
- They're in the same part of town and the same bus takes me there (though thankfully the new school is a little closer)
- They're both a little overwhelming in scale, but in different ways

The last placement was in an enormous, multi-building labyrinth of a primary school, but the nursery itself was small, calm, and easy to manage. I learned all the kids' names in one day. The new placement is in a much smaller building but it is strictly a nursery school and there are approximately 100 kids there at any given time, all free-flowing throughout the grounds. I have no idea how I'm ever going to remember their names.

I spent the morning floating around, playing with the kids and getting a sense for the place. I have to say, it was pretty impressive. They have so many cool things going on, and they have two fantastic outdoor areas, better than any other that I've seen. In the afternoon, I went along with one of the other TAs to look after a little boy with severe Autism.

I've never been given so little responsibility on a first day. It made me a bit uncomfortable (because I felt like I should be more focused/doing more) but it was nice. The school is nice. And so are the kids, the staff, and the parents. Lots and lots of nice.

I got to spend a fair bit of time in the sensory room, too, which is always a treat. If you've never seen one, sensory rooms are basically spaces loaded with, well, sensory things: lights, projectors, disco balls, bubbles, pillows, mirrors, music, massage stuff, etc. They're really lovely. Great for Autistic children and, I think, for their teachers as well. I always feel refreshed and rejuvenated after spending time in one.

That being said, I was definitely tired by the end of the day. I didn't even realise it until after I left. I don't know if it was the weather or the work or the lack of sleep I got last night (probably a combination of all three), but it took everything I had just to stay awake on the bus ride home. I have a feeling I'm going to sleep very well tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment