Thursday, September 9, 2010

Chasing the blues away

I'm cheating here, because it's past midnight and therefore no longer September 8th... but since I haven't gone to bed yet, I feel entitled to say that I moved to London precisely one year ago. A lot has happened and changed in that time, but one thing is the same as this time last year: the stress of not having a job.

Finding work at the beginning of the school year is a challenge. Schools are still sorting out what they need in terms of long-term positions and daily supply roles are few. I have hope that because I have more experience now, I'll have an easier time landing something long-term. But in the meantime, it is rather stressful. Add to that a few other personal issues, including the fact that I have outgrown my shoebox of a room, and you get a Bryn who is not sleeping properly, not eating properly, experiencing headaches and physical tension, and suffering from miniature panic attacks. Not fun.

I'm doing my best to counteract this by getting out, meeting people, and doing things. Last night, for example, I went out to two dance venues (one WCS, one lindy hop). Had a great time and felt significantly better afterward. Fantastic, so long as I don't think about the money I spent.

My friend Desirée has been great about getting me out, too. I've already met two of her friends (both really interesting people) on two separate occasions this week. On Sunday, we tried to go to a free outdoor theatre thing on the south bank, but it turned out to be children's theatre... and pretty weird children's theatre, at that.


I think they were singing a Lady Gaga song at this point. Anyway, we didn't last long and hightailed it to a pub, where we got to make fun of the terrible trumpet player. Perhaps I should pursue a performance career here if it's that easy to get gigs.

Also on my radar is capoeira. I've been meaning to get back into it for ages but have been kind of afraid. My capoeira sessions at Carleton University were really intense. I was in good shape at the time and still had difficulty walking for days afterward. In any case, I've decided I'm finally going to lay my fears to rest and return to capoeira tomorrow. I'm quite excited, but once again, I will have to ignore the money being spent. Though it is not much, it adds up quickly when you have a budget of roughly £0 (or actually, negative hundreds of pounds).

But you see, last year, I let my lack of disposable income stand in the way of me doing fun active things. Contrary to most people's experiences, I actually put on a whole bunch of weight after moving to Europe. Not to mention the general feeling of malaise that goes along with dropping your activity level. No. I will not let it happen again, no matter the costs.

Of course, being active doesn't always have to cost money. I'm also doing the two hundred sit-ups challenge. I naturally have pretty good core strength and the programme isn't actually that difficult for me, but it is useful for making me do regular core workouts. I just finished 184 crunches and it feels good. I will eventually do the 100 push-ups programme too... but that one intimidates me. I cannot do push-ups. At all. Hopefully a few weeks of capoeira will help prime my upper body strength, though, and make it more manageable.

As for more free things that get me doing stuff, this coming weekend is The Thames Festival (one of the big highlights of last year for me). It's totally awesome and doesn't cost a thing! So far nobody has expressed any interest in joining me, so if you're out there and interested, please let me know! Festivals are always much better with company. Here's last year's blog post about it and here are some more pictures (mainly from the fire garden, as it was my favourite part).

South Bank


Free running/parkour


Fire garden





Now that I have a better camera and I'm working on my photography skills (more on that soon), I'm hoping this year's photos will be even better!

10 comments:

  1. is the sit up thing supposed to be actual sit ups or just crunches? because crunches are easy peasy but sit ups are a bit harder, especially if you add some weights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just crunches. Sit ups are supposedly bad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's so weird that they would have pictures of people doing sit ups on the website! have you tried sideways crunches? harder than regular and really works the obliques which is a tough one to get!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya, I've tried all sorts of ab exercises, most of which are more intense than regular crunches. Incidentally, I think leg lifts are my favourite. But I'm not really trying to push myself here... just doing something simple on a regular basis to keep myself in check.

    ReplyDelete
  5. amie, i totally thought that too on the website, but this is what it says:

    'Throughout this site, wherever you read the words "sit-up(s)", please think in terms of crunches or curl ups, not the out-of-favour mass taught exercise. Furthermore, the two hundred sit-ups logo is not meant to be a good indicator of how the exercise should be performed.'

    hahahhahha!

    also bryn, i totally relate to the september blues, i was down in the dumps last term! and then i wrote about it on blog and got in trouble from 'the agency'. HAH! lets be honest, it SUCKS big time! but glad to see youre making the best of it and getting out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait.. you got in TROUBLE for that??

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha, yeah. well you know, they said that was part of the reason that i wasn't getting work. silly, silly.

    but life is good now :)
    have you considered signing up with another agency, i know there ARE loads of jobs out there! tyson got a fulltime one the day after he signed up with protocol and is still at the same school, it will be a year in november!

    ReplyDelete
  8. protocol is how morgan got his full time job too! and it was the best job he got too! they have way more schools and in good areas too. definitely something to look into!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd like to stay with Classroom if I can. They've been extraordinarily good to me. But I'll consider it if I don't start getting work next week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yeah, fair enough.but when you're trying to pay for food, never mind rent and a travel card, etc etc, it's nice to have options. gotta look out for number 1!!

    ReplyDelete