Saturday, September 25, 2010

A Statement that is Personal

I mentioned last time that I'm applying for PGCE programmes. As part of the process, I have to write a personal statement. I'm nervous because all of the resources I've consulted have insisted that competition is fierce and my personal statement is the most important part of my application. So before I submit it to the universities, I'm submitting it to you for your feedback. Please be gentle.

I’ve known since I was thirteen years old that I wanted to become a teacher. It began innocently enough, with a love of helping people and a preference for process over product in the arts. I knew, for example, that I didn’t want to become an actor, but I liked the idea of becoming a drama teacher. When I arrived at university, my eyes were opened to a new possibility: using drama as a tool to teach subjects across the curriculum. From then on, my passion for teaching became unstoppable.

As part of my studies in Drama in Education, I learned how to engage students with different learning styles; how to use games and creative techniques to enhance, support, and direct learning; how to assess students at the beginning, middle, and end of a process; how to structure lessons and write lesson plans; how to adapt when things don’t go exactly as planned; and, through my placements, how to carry it all out in practice. With the emphasis on child-centred learning that has emerged from the new National Curriculum, my degree training gives me a distinct advantage because I am already accustomed to focusing my teaching in ways that are most relevant to my students.

For the past year, I have been working as a TA and LSA in inner-London state schools. Working through an agency has given me the opportunity to gain experience with a variety of schools, age groups, and learning needs, as well as the chance to observe a variety of teachers. Through this process, I have proven my ability to adapt and think on my feet, as each new setting has inevitably presented different responsibilities and challenges. I have also proven my ability to work effectively with children, parents, and other teachers and TAs.

Of all the schools I’ve worked in, one of my favourites was a long-term placement supporting a Year 2 student with Global Delay. In addition to supporting her and other students in the classroom, I also had free rein over planning our daily literacy, numeracy, and physical development sessions outside the classroom. I really enjoyed having the chance to discover and develop methods that worked with her abilities, interests, and personality. In the three months we worked together, she went from making random scribbles on a page to correctly spelling CVC words and independently writing recognisable symbols on the lines. She also dramatically improved her counting ability and began to demonstrate understanding of simple addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. This, along with my other TA experiences, has given me great confidence in my ability to innovate, motivate, and effectively use strategies that are accessible and meaningful to my students.

Being a TA is not always easy, but despite the low pay and the occasionally stressful conditions, I have stuck with it because I love it and I gain something from every challenge I overcome. For example, I am still working on the delicate balance between being a firm authority figure whilst remaining approachable, but my observations of other teachers--as well as resources such as Teachers TV and TES--have been very useful and I am making good progress in this area.

In addition to working as a TA, I have taught dance, drama, and musical theatre to children, have trained as a child yoga instructor, and have recently joined Kids Company as a volunteer. I seek out new learning experiences whenever I can—for example, I am registered for several seminars at this year’s Special Needs London convention. My ICT, teamwork, and organisational skills have additionally been enhanced by years of working in administrative and human resources roles.

I’ve never felt happier than when I am teaching and know this is a role I was born to fill. Despite my affinity and aptitude for education, I still have much to learn and I look forward to the intensive training afforded by a PGCE programme.

No comments:

Post a Comment