Thursday, December 31, 2009

Metamorphosis

The past decade has been one of enormous change and transformation.

2000
Graduated high school, worked my first job(s), and moved away for university.

2001
Made a serious commitment to nutrition and exercise for the first time in my life and began to take pride in my appearance.

2002
My first big love and heartbreak.

2003
Bought a car, started swing dancing, decided I needed a break from university and went to live in Alberta with my dad.

2004
Changed my career path to HR and experienced my second big love and heartbreak.

2005
Moved back to Ottawa.

2006
Started a "real job" (only to get laid off three months later), started another "real job," and helped to found Swing Dynamite.

2007
Lost my second "real job" and decided I didn't want a real job anyway, visited Europe for the first time.

2008
Took some time off to work on myself and eventually moved out of my luxury downtown condo, went back to school part-time, and re-entered the arts and culture sector (through Bluesfest and the Ottawa School of Speech and Drama).

2009
This has been the biggest year of change for me...
- Teaching prospects at OSSD took off, leading to awesome opportunities there and elsewhere
- Finally earned my BA
- Sold my car
- Moved overseas
- Changed careers
- Started a great relationship
- Travelled to 3 new countries
In particular, this year has been about experiencing being a minority. As a Canadian, I am a minority in London. As a caucasian, I am a minority in the communities and schools in which I work. As an English/French speaker, I have been a minority in every country I have visited this year. It has been a good and important experience for me, and I'll probably write more about it later.

I look forward to the next decade bringing more change, more joy, more love, more challenges, and more hope. May it bring the same to you.

2 comments:

  1. What an interesting timeline. I should do one like that... never want to be a surface dweller!

    I'm thinking of making the move to London, too. Oui ou non?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That depends a lot on you, but I think overall it has been a good thing for me to do.

    ReplyDelete