Sunday, December 27, 2009

I needed that

I had two missions yesterday: pancakes and dancing. Both were accomplished with brilliant success.

Pancakes were found at Milk Bar in the Gothic Quarter. Milk is a delightful little lounge with tasteful, vintage decor and (I couldn't believe it) trad jazz streaming over the speakers. They even served me real Canadian maple syrup! It's one of the most popular spots in Barcelona so we were lucky that it was Boxing Day, when Catalonians don't seem to leave their homes, and we didn't have to wait to get in.

Dancing was found at Sala Apolo. The Barcelona Jazz Orchestra was playing a Christmas concert and the event was described as "having room for dancing." I had pictured a smallish bar with an even smaller dance floor, with perhaps a handful of dancers in attendance (knowing my luck, they would all be follows). Boy was I ever in for a surprise! The place was huge, with two levels and a dance floor that could rival most ballrooms'... and it was absolutely packed. I could barely squeeze through to the other side of it, much less dance on it. It was hot and sweaty and I stepped on people every 32 seconds, but it felt absolutely incredible to dance again (after not lindy hopping for close to a month) and the band was on fire.

Anyhow, off I go to enjoy one of our two non-rainy days here. Sagrada Familia and maybe some shopping? This holiday is all about rest and relaxation, and I like that a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment