Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Outsider

Being an expat is a crazy experience. Until now, I've taken it for granted that I belonged to the culture in which I lived. Here, I am an outsider.

You probably wouldn't know it to look at me; I've taken great care to adopt the local norms and customs, and everything about my appearance (most days) screams, "Londoner." But you'd know it the moment I opened my mouth. And more importantly, I'd know it.

British and Canadian culture aren't wildly different, of course. I could have easily picked a more extreme leap, say to Korea or Russia or Zimbabwe or something. But they're different in many small, subtle ways, and those subtle differences eventually add up. I'm beginning to realize that the people who surround me every day have all grown up in a very different reality than I have, and that their common experiences bond them together while segregating me. I can find and create my own common experiences with people here, but it requires concerted effort.

I came here claiming that I wanted to land a man with a hot British accent. Instead, I've landed myself a wonderful American man. It's amazing how much his accent soothes me, and how much it matters to me that we both grew up on the same continent. I never would have thought that would be relevant to me at all, but there's so much that we share that's different from everyone else around us. Things I never would have noticed or cared about if we'd met across the pond (although I would have noticed all his other amazing qualities).

I wouldn't say I'm homesick yet, but I would say I'm learning more and more to appreciate where I come from. I'm fortunate that I get to live here and experience this new place... I'm even more fortunate that I can hold onto little pieces of home.

5 comments:

  1. I want to read more about the little differences between Brits and Canadians.

    I definitely want to read more about the wonderful new man! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Good idea, Nadine. I'll work on a post summing up the differences.

    As for the new man, I'm sure more details will spill out over time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh, i couldn't agree more about how nice it is to hear a north american accent after only hearing british all day! i love coming home and "speaking canadian" with morgs and our roommates. and i was sooo happy to find a teacher from new york at my school, i'm constantly harassing her at lunch just because it's almost refreshing to hear her accent and have someone to relate to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've travelled a lot and I've only ever really experienced culture shock in New Zealand -- precisely for the reasons you mention.

    Because they look like me and kind of talk like me, I had a much greater expectation of things being the same. So, when they weren't, it was very grating.

    From this I spiraled off -- as I so often do -- to another conclusion.

    All of us grow up in our own local micro-culture and probably experience something like culture shock every day of our lives simply because we expect people to act like we do.

    I now try my best to encounter each person as if I were a traveller in a very foreign land: with the expectation that they need not be exactly like me. Life is now much less grating and I learn a lot more too.

    ReplyDelete