Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sometimes the road less travelled is the best way to go

One by one, some of my fellow Canadians teaching in London are revealing that they feel as though they're putting their lives on hold or even regressing by being here. They watch from afar as their friends back home are reaching new milestones--graduations, marriages, babies, home ownerships--and are judging the progress of their own lives by the same yardstick.

I can relate to that feeling, but from a completely different context. I graduated from high school two years early and was on a path to earn 5 degrees by the time I turned 25. I'm about to turn 27 now and I only have one degree that I just earned last spring. On my way to getting there, I felt pathetic about my measly progress as I watched what seemed like my entire high school cohort (and several cohorts behind me) go on to earn their postgraduate degrees.

But now that my BA is proudly hanging on my wall, I see things a little differently. I realize now that the path I took made me who I am today. I have a wealth of real world experiences that I never would have encountered in school. And I have training in other areas that were never on the original plan. Inadvertently, I am now better prepared for the things I want to do with the rest of my life than I ever could have hoped, otherwise.

I suppose I don't feel the same way about being here because living abroad has always been part of my life plan. I spent years filled with envy of the people I knew who were travelling the world. I feel as though I've accomplished a great deal by coming here (although I feel that I still haven't travelled enough). There's still so much more for me to do, but owning a home doesn't even come close to being on that list.

I have a plan for the future, and another year of travelling and gaining experience in London schools is step number 1. Those are the most important things for me to be doing right now, and I feel sure that the future will thank me for it.

1 comment:

  1. Very wise. Never compare your life to anyone's. Make your milestones and path. There are more twists along that path than most people are willing to admit, so...

    ReplyDelete