Sunday, May 9, 2010

Alone... hopefully not for long

I was warned before I came over here that London could be very isolating. I didn't mind that at first; I had my fellow Canadian teachers, my dance friends, and my new boyfriend to keep me company. I actually quite liked being able to disappear into anonymity whenever I wanted to.

But then a series of things happened: I stopped going dancing, I stopped hanging out with my new friends, I switched to a bigger school where the staff barely talk to one other, and my boyfriend moved to India. Now, I am quite thoroughly alone, and London's anonymity is no longer a positive trait.

The past few days have been stressful and I've realized more than ever how much I miss having friends I can hug or even just talk to. I miss my social network in Ottawa and I regret neglecting my social network here.

But it does no good for me to just moan about it. It's time to take action and start rekindling and building new friendships. People of London, I want to spend time with you! This is such a great city, and there's no excuse for me not to be rocking it out.

It starts today with a trip to Portobello Market.

4 comments:

  1. Ah Bryn, this totally expresses how I've been feeling lately. Totally lonely without my friends from home to talk to about things! I know I have Tyson here, which is great, but I miss having someone I can just call up and go for a walk with or whatever. Let me know if you wanna get coffee or something :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have Amie and Morgan too! But ya, leaving people behind is, I think, the hardest part of moving far away. We should totally do coffee! When are you free?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I do, but I haven't really seen or talked to them in nearly two months :( And I'm having a hard time coping with them leaving.

    I am free pretty much everyday... I usually leave school around 5 but if I have plans, I'm happy to leave earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, living in a new country can be isolating, and at the oddest times too. Try Meetup.com. Seriously, it's been my saviour on many occasions.

    ReplyDelete