Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Famous last words

"I want to try that!" I said, watching the dancers from the Punjab having the time of their lives.

"I think I could actually do that," Nathan said, realizing that his problem is an inclination toward dancing big, which was precisely what these dancers were doing.

"We want you to come dance with us," said the dancers, tugging at our arms.

Nathan went first. I have to say, he really rocked out. He also wimped out... 3 times. They had to keep dragging him back on stage.

I went second. As a seasoned dance performer who has dragged many a victim up on stage with me, I now understand the terror I've induced. But once I was up there, I figured I'd better go big or go home. Arms positioned, torso leaning back, big Punjabi grin, my hip went drop, drop, drop. My legs went flick, flick, flick. I went spin, spin, spin. We went conga, conga, conga. And it truly was the time of my life.

All this at the dinner we were invited to at the Imperial hotel. There turned out to be a 2 hour long dance show as part of the package deal (when I found this out, I think I may have squealed with glee). It even featured a guy who danced with 9 pots balanced on his head, atop swords and shards of glass, or with glasses clutched in his toes.

Here are some quick clips of the Punjabi dancers earlier in the night. Sorry the quality isn't great.





Incidentally, the Imperial is absolutely stunning. Compare, for example, this image of their pool with the one I posted yesterday of ours. It's almost embarrassing.


So yes, all in all a wonderful night. Great food, great dancing, great people, great atmosphere. By the time we took off, the metro was no longer running so we had to catch an auto-rickshaw to the hotel. About an hour of letting our hair blow in the breeze for the low, low price of rs. 250 (£3.69). I love this country.

I had planned on going to Akshardam temple today, and I still might... but last night really knocked both of us on our butts. It's now nearly 12:30 pm and Nathan's still sleeping. I'm not much further along. So... we'll see. It may well turn out to be another lazy day.

1 comment: