Saturday, October 23, 2010

London in Autumn

From the time I was a small child, I've been told the natural order of autumn leaves is for them to first change colours, then fall to the ground. But in London, this "law" of nature is only obeyed sporadically.


The majority of trees here go directly from green to barren. At first I thought the leaves, once turned, must fall right away... but then I started noticing an abundance of fallen, dried, green leaves. It's messing with my head! And is a little bit sad too; I feel as though I'm missing out on one of the best parts of autumn.

Another of the best parts is Halloween--a holiday mentioned only cautiously and with disdain in this part of the world. Several of my English friends have speculated it's because people here still associate the festival with its controversial past. Others have noted it serves mainly as an excuse for rebellious British youth to make mischief. But I, for one, think it's a crying shame.

That's why I was overjoyed when I was asked to carve a pumpkin with the children at school on Wednesday. I even got to roast the seeds! I was on a high from it the entire day, and I think I might buy another pumpkin and do it all again.

Ironically, despite the lack of qualities that have traditionally reminded me that this is a great season, I'm actually enjoying autumn a lot more than I have in many, many years. I've always found it difficult to enjoy the present when it serves as a constant reminder that the days are getting shorter and colder, and that soon we'll be plunged into the depths of winter (my most despised time of the year). But although my first British winter was hard on me, I think its relatively short lifespan coupled with a long, hot summer (I managed to be in India, Spain, Hawaii, England, and Canada at all the right times to maximize the heat) have made me much readier for winter this time around. We'll see how I feel about it in a month or two, but so far I'm doing ok.

In the meantime, we've arrived at our first break of the school year. I had hoped to spend this time in Italy, but unfortunately circumstances conspired against it. Instead, I'll be messing around with recipes, working on creative projects, and preparing to move. Yes, you read that right, I'm moving next month! Not to Spain, but to Camberwell--a charming area of South London only a 15 minute walk from my school. I'll be living in a lovely Victorian townhouse with four other really cool people. I think it'll be good for me.

7 comments:

  1. Yay for the move! I agree, that sounds like a really positive change for you. Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, I'm really excited about it! I can't wait to get out of this cramped space and into a proper home. It'll be good for me socially, too. I spend far too much time alone. Not to mention, the uber-short commute will reduce costs and maximise my time and energy. I think the 2.5 hours I currently spend on the bus each day wear me out more than anything else.

    And yay for yours too! I like Ealing. Are you actually moving this week or just getting ready to?

    ReplyDelete
  3. we are opposites, i found the london winter to be SOOOOO LONG. way longer than canadian winters because there was no sun, its was just grey and miserable for months and months. and the wet cold SUCKED, i hated it so much. i would much rather it be a dry -40 with loads of snow and SUN! i cant wait for a canadian winter this year!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. and that sucks about italy! how come you couldnt go? where are you planning for christmas??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I hated the London winter too, but it was over way earlier than a Canadian winter would have been.

    I'm not going to Italy for a couple of reasons... I probably could have made it work financially if I weren't moving, but I also put it off because I thought I might be moving to Madrid next week. I think it's probably for the best. I have lots of work to do and I need this time to do it.

    Don't know about Christmas. Money's tight so I'll probably just stay here again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the english winter seemed soooo long to me! no sun+miserable wet coldfor 4 months is way worse than snow+sun for 6 months in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well it helps that you actually like snow. I pretty much hate Canadian and British winters equally. And when the sun finally came out last spring, there was no thawing process and I remembered immediately how much I love London. Winter was easy to forget.

    Plus, the extra months of summer have really made a difference. The 2 winters I spent in Edmonton sandwiched a very cold, wet summer. That made the second winter twice as unbearable for me.

    ReplyDelete