Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Behaviour Management

I was not an easy child. I was stubborn, underachieving, and prone to tantrums, and I feel deeply sorry for anyone who had to deal with me during those years. But I was also very self-aware and I remember trying, futilely, to explain that I would cooperate better if I were approached in a different way.

That memory forms the foundation of my theories about behaviour management. Figure out what makes a child tick and they will instantly respond to it. No tears, no stress. It usually works.

Children in London, however, are a different story. While all children need boundaries, British children need those boundaries to be tight and strictly enforced. This is the land of the stiff upper lip, where children are meant to be seen and not heard. They are accustomed to adults who are firm, distant, and regularly cross. Doomed is the teacher who tries to accommodate their pupils, for they will take that as a sign of weakness and promptly exploit it.

While I am not necessarily a fan of this approach, it is not without its merits. I've personally compromised on a balance that involves being kind, warm, fun, and encouraging most of the time, but quick to snap on my "don't mess with me" face the moment a child oversteps a boundary. I've noticed that many of the most successful teachers I've witnessed tend to do the same. I like this balance and I will probably stick with it no matter where I'm teaching.

The problem, though, is that a one-size-fits-all approach will never work for everybody. There are always going to be children who don't respond well to being scolded and punished for their misbehaviour. One of these children is in my class.

He's one of those kids who is always causing trouble of one sort or another; causing disruptions, bothering other children, refusing to listen. He winds up being told off over and over again throughout the day ("What's wrong with you?" "Why is it always you?") and spends at least a quarter of each day in time out. Clearly, something isn't working.

I tried talking to him about it today. I asked him what he liked about school (playing with others and maths) and what frustrated him (his teacher getting cross). I asked him if he knew why he did things to make her cross and he said that he didn't (and denied misbehaving to begin with). Then I said something that made his ears perk up: "I want to help you." I told him we could work toward him not getting in trouble all the time, but that he had to help me too. He agreed.

So that's my goal. So far, my hypothesis is that he simply isn't ready for the subdued, rigid structure of Year 2 in Britain (what 6 year old boy is, really?). He has excess energy that needs a better outlet, and would also benefit from some coaching on anger management. More positive attention probably wouldn't hurt, either. This site has some really good suggestions. I'm not sure yet how I'm going to go about this, though, given that I'm not his teacher (and his teacher has very different ideas on how to react to him). Your suggestions are welcome.

In other news, I am still frustrated to high heaven with this weather and London's inability to cope. I was stuck on my train for 2 hours this morning because the train in front of us broke down. I didn't get in to work until 10. Then my train on the way home was discontinued partway through due to chaos at Victoria station. It doesn't help the behaviour situation, either, when the kids aren't allowed to go play outside.

Ohhhhh when will it be spring?!

3 comments:

  1. this reminds me of when i read "the nanny diaries" this summer, this was the best part of the book (i googled the line haha):

    "In essence, you are Glinda. You are light and clarity and fun. If he goes too far again... BABOOM! Wicked Witch of the West! Two point four seconds - you swoop down in front of his face and hiss that he must never do that again - ever. It is not okay. And then, before he can bat an eyelash, back to Glinda."

    ha, i love it! and i've definitely used it to my advantage many times here!

    as for your kid, i have one of those in my class too. she was driving me up the wall until i finally clued in that she was just desperate for attention of any kind. so i laid on the positive feedback thick. i absolutely gush over anything and everything she did right, from saying thank you or sitting without me telling her or whatever and i ignore any of the naughty stuff she tries (unless another kid might get hurt). and she's responded beautifully! i very rarely have to get cross with her anymore and her teacher has noticed a difference in her attitude as well. so i would definitely say give it a shot!

    and finally, the no outdoor play thing is KILLING me. i have never seen so much pent up energy in one room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a thought, the kid may be acting out due to an unbalanced home life - sadly, often the case. Do you know what kind of parents this kid has? If not, they may be part of the problem.

    Obviously I'm not saying that ALL kids that have trouble in school are the result of bad parenting, but it definitely can be a factor. There are a lot of bad parents out there. And, if that's part of the problem, there may be little you can do.

    - Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. It may well be part of the problem. We're talking about an inner city school in a rough area of town. But I refuse to believe that that mean there's little I can do. I can't fix his home life, but I can help him build his self-esteem and problem solving skills.

    ReplyDelete