Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Smorgasboard

Two days so far at new school and so far, so good. The kids are generally (relatively) well-behaved and I like the staff... or at least the staff that I've met. If I had to gripe about one thing, it'd be that the school is so large, it's almost as though 3/4 of the students and teachers don't exist. There are other Classroom Canada teachers working there... people whom I know and who live in my building, and I never even see them! One of the things I really liked about my last school was that we all gathered for meetings every morning, and most of us hung out in the staff room together on breaks. There are a few really nice changes, though: A much quicker commute, free lunches, and afternoon breaks (at least in theory -- I haven't taken one yet). Also, they have filmmakers coming in to work with the kids every week. They're going to be making a documentary with animation woven in. Really cool!

Lately I've noticed that the alarm clock on my phone is confused; it's been going off when it isn't supposed to. Today, I learned the hard way that it is also randomly deciding not to go off when it is supposed to. An early morning text message is the only thing that saved me.

On a radically different note, I am officially going to India April 3rd-16th. Crossing my fingers that Nathan will still be there when I arrive (he may have to jet off to Brazil or China or Godknowswhereelse instead). I was going to wait longer to book my flight, but the flight I wanted (decent price, direct flight, on the dates I wanted) was close to selling out, so I took a leap of faith. I know I will enjoy it either way, but it would be so much better to be there with my man.

I'm also going to Sweden! March 19-21 in Goteborg. I'm there to teach a dance workshop, though, so I doubt I'll have much/any time to see anything. Still, I'm pretty excited.

One thing's for sure... life is never boring 'round here.

1 comment:

  1. HEY!
    SO EXCITED TO HEAR ABOUY YOU COMING TO SWEDEN now some important info is to be had about Sweden/Sverige: First, Gothenburg/Göteborg has 2 names, one english and one swedish both revealing that both languages are equally accepted there. One amazing place to go is Liseberg which is like Göteborgs answer to Wonderland. Its quite fun n I went on my first ever rollercoaster there personally.

    There is far more to love than to hate about sweden. 2 minute swedish lesson:

    Hejsan/hej hej = hello
    hej då = goodbye
    å = a followed by o (as in, ao)
    ä= a followed by e (ae)
    ö = o followed by e (oe)
    the letters were created when people got lazy and started using the ¨instead of the second letter, and further still by today using a - over the letter instead of a ¨ quite lazy indeed.

    I think thats about it. Oh yes and 7SEK = 1$CAD approx. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete